Tuesday, 4 July 2017

ECR House & Garden Show 2017

Every year when it’s the start of the July school holidays I look forward to attending the ECR House & Garden Show at the Durban Exhibition Centre. This year the show is bigger and better than ever. Other than the usual decor, home improvement, garden and food stalls whole new sections have been added. Sections such as the KZN Travel & Adventure Show, KAPOW Designer Cafe, Foodie Fair and H + G Maker Space.




The show is so big and there is so much to see and do that I had to attend the show twice. On Saturday I spent most of my time at the Chef’s Theatre in the main hall watching Culinary Artist Wayland Green from Granny Mouse Country House & Spa and Chef Sherwyn Weaichy prepare delicious food.




I also took a very slow walk around the KZN Travel & Adventure Show collecting brochures from various holiday places and chatting to a few of the people manning the stalls. I was especially interested in the KZN Battlefields route and enjoyed talking to Pam McFadden who runs the Talana Museum in Dundee. I spent 6 years living in Dundee and it was great to hear what Pam is doing to maintain the history of the area, and I am very keen to attend the Dundee Homecoming event in September.




The Homegrown Design Fair is amazing as always and I love seeing how creative people can be with what they make. A must see is Abide Creative, Elle Kay Fabrics, Hellooow Handmade and Rollin Vintage. You are sure to find gifts for family and friends and especially for yourself inside the Homegrown Design Fair hall.




I took a brief walk around the Foodie Fair and made sure to buy a cup of coffee from the Love Coffee combi. They use beans supplied by Steampunk in the Midlands. That was all I was able to see on the Saturday and that took quite a few hours.

I returned on Monday and went straight to get a cup of coffee from Exploring Coffee inside the Travel Show tent. Finally found the Durban Green Corridor stall that I had missed seeing on the Saturday. On Saturday I had breezed through the Builders Warehouse tent and so had also missed seeing the painting station set up for people to try out chalk paint. You are able to try out the Fired Earth chalk paint on a wooden picture frame for free and to take it home. It was great fun, easy to do and the paint dries so quickly.

My daughter Laura was with me and she had not had breakfast so we had to look at all the food stalls until she made her selection. She settled on pizza from Maddison’s Bakery while I enjoyed a pasteis de nata from Madeleine’s and a cup of coffee from Love Coffee.

Then we took a slow walk around the main hall looking at all the decor, design and home improvement stalls. I loved the decor in the KAPOW Designer Cafe and especially the faux flowered chandeliers done by Jennifer Jones interiors. Don’t forget to buy 1, 2 or many more pieces of delicious Tasha’s Fantastic Fudge.




We weren’t planning on going to the Chef’s Theatre again but in passing saw that Lucy Markewicz of CakeLab would be doing a demonstration at 1pm. She demonstrated icing and drip icing techniques on a buttermilk sponge cake. It was incredible how a few simple techniques and decorations created such an amazing looking cake. It tasted so delicious as well.


The show is on until Sunday so why don’t you go see and experience it for yourself.


Find all the show times and ticket costs on the ECR House & Garden Show website.



No comments:

Post a Comment